[MPlayer-users] ~40sec wait before mplayer starts playing mms stream

chrizzler . chrizzler at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 13:32:11 CEST 2009

Hi all,

[Note: I read the manuals, searched the archives and internet, but no
solution came up]

I want to be able to check if an uploaded file is streamable on our
streaming video server. I thought of using mplayer to try play the stream
taking a one-frame capture and check if this was succesful.

But I have trouble with mplayer playing a mms stream. When just trying (for
example) 'mplayer mms://
wm.stream1.fsw.leidenuniv.nl:80/beta/ewe_oral_narratives.wmv' from a windows
console... after reporting that it is trying to connect it does nothing for
about 40seconds and then it plays just like I expect it should. Windows
media player plays the stream almost instantly.

When using msglevel all=7 I get the following output around making the
connection:

Trying ASF/UDP...
  ===> ASF/UDP failed
Trying ASF/TCP...
Connecting to server 132.229.65.52[132.229.65.52]: 80...
Connected
read error:: No such file or directory
pre-header read failed
  ===> ASF/TCP failed
Trying ASF/HTTP...
Connecting to server 132.229.65.52[132.229.65.52]: 80...

And then is goes well after that.

Seems that it is trying UDP and TCP connections but fails and succeeds with
a HTTP connection. Can I force mplayer to directly try ASF/HTTP?

Thanx for any help/suggestion!
Chris