[MPlayer-users] audio leads video

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Sun Jul 26 01:54:47 CEST 2009

On 07/25/2009 04:41:09 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Geoffrey Leach <geoff <at> hughes.net> writes:
>
> > My problem. I am recording digital television off-the-air using an
> HD
> > HomeRun tuner, which produces an MPEG2 file. On some of the
> recordings
> > (from particular channels, all the time) when they are replayed
> using
> > mplayer (log attached) the audio leads the video by several
> seconds.
>
> After reading the log, I suspect a better explanation would be:
> Heavy, increasing A/V-desync although frames are dropped.
> [...]
>
> > The mplayer command being used is:
> >
> > player -mc 0.2 -autosync 30 -dr -tskeepbroken -ao
> alsa::device=hw=0.3
> > -vo vdpau -vc ffmpeg2 -alang eng -zoom -fs foo.mp2
>
> Could you test
> mplayer -noconfig all foo.mp2
> mplayer -noconfig all -demuxer lavf foo.mp2
> mplayer -noconfig all -vc ffmpeg12vdpau foo.mp2
> ?
> Watch the counter of dropped frames (on the right of the status line)
> to see for
> which configuration your setup is not fast enough. I have an E8400
> and
> a NVIDIA
> video card as well, and it is possible to overload the system (720p60
> is quite
> some load).
> You may want to watch the output of top at same time.
>
> Carl Eugen

Carl,

Here's what I found. But first a question -- is the zero on the right
dropped frames?
A:78179.1 V:78179.1 A-V:  0.004 ct:  0.073 53306/53306 17% 79%  1.6%
44608 0

I ask, of course, because I found none.

mplayer -noconfig all foo.mp2
    dropped 0
    top cpu/mem  58.6  1.7
    audio leads
mplayer -noconfig all -demuxer lavf foo.mp2
    dropped 0
    top cpu/mem  68.6  1.5
    audio leads (worse)
mplayer -noconfig all -vc ffmpeg12 -vo vdpau foo.mp2
    dropped 0
    top cpu/mem  63.9  1.7
    audio leads (worse)
mplayer -noconfig all -vc ffmpeg2 -vo vdpau foo.mp2
    dropped 0
    top cpu/mem  59.3  1.6
    audio leads (worse)
mplayer -noconfig all -ao alsa::device=hw=0.3 -vc ffmpeg2 -vo vdpau
foo.mp2
    dropped 0
    top cpu/mem  28.3  1.4 (yes, really)
    audio leads

First and last were the best, though not great. Middle three were not
good at all. Video quality the same in all three