[MPlayer-users] just wanted to scale my video but doesn't work?

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Sun Jul 26 10:01:19 CEST 2009

> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 01:01:29PM -0700, RC wrote:
>>
>> Do you not see the inherent contradiction in COPYING something, while
>> also trying to make CHANGES to it?
>
>  Absolutely not, since for me '-ovc copy' means just to use the same
> codec.

Sorry, but that's not the way it works. -ovc copy does not touch the video
packets at all, just copies them. You will be disappointed to see that
"using the same codec" but unpacking and repacking video will not take
minutes but hours to process your file. -ovc copy ia a good choice if you
e.g. want to replace the soundtrack or encode the soundtrack in some way
with no changes to the video. One can save really a lot of time, as -ovc
copy usually runs a bit faster than any video codec. A bit faster often
means here like 100 or more times faster. It is alike the difference
between using network to copy a mp3-file from one machine to another to
using an audio cable to connect the sound cards and playing on one machine
while recording on the other. The network variant has it's advantages.

Greets,
Kiste