[MPlayer-users] MP3 to Raw PCM

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Tue Jul 28 16:30:43 CEST 2009

Greg Treantos wrote:
>  I am trying to convert an MP3 audio stream to a RAW PCM audio stream using
> mplayer. I'm using the command
>
> *mplayer -vc null -vo null -ao pcm:nowaveheader:fast:file=<output file.pcm>
> <input file.mp3>*
>
> The command completes, the pcm file is created however the PCM file is plays
> too fast. It seems when the conversion takes place something happens to the
> playback rate. Any ideas how to resolve this?

Little details, like sampling rate, (44100, vs, 48000, as an example)
are stored in the... (wait for it) wave header.  Whatever program you
are using to play the pcm is making a different assumption.  I don't
know enough about mplayer pcm output if there is a way to change it, but
otherwise, output to wav, and use sox to create a pcm of your specification.