[MPlayer-users] Can anyone confirm this? (Desync when encoding with yadif=1)

Alexander Shaduri ashaduri at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 19:11:30 CEST 2009

Hello,

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 18:34:07 +0200
Ilja Sekler <ilja_sekler_ at gmx.de> wrote:

> > Can anyone at least confirm this issue please?
> >
> > Whenever I try to encode with yadif=1 (50 fps output in case of
> > PAL), I get A/V desync, the sound is about 150ms late. That is, when
> > I play the result with "mplayer -delay 0.15 test.avi", everything's
> > ok.
>
> Yes, I get this too.

Thanks for your reply.

> > This issue really makes yadif=1 (or, generally, high quality
> > double-fps encoding) unusable in mencoder, so I'm already thinking
> > about trying the alternatives (transcode, maybe?).
>
> Why not just adding "-delay 0.15" to the mencoder command line as a
> workaround?

Like I mentioned in my previous email, adding that delay has disadvantages.

1. There's a visible junk at the start of the video. It seems that since the
audio starts a bit earlier than the video, some garbage is displayed
during that period. It's there when using either -delay or -audio-delay.

2. It interferes with the possibility of joining the video files later (because
of the above-mentioned junk and/or not having the audio start at the same
time as the video).

3. I don't know the exact value to specify, and I don't want to end up with
broken files (I'm mostly encoding the music concerts, so the exact sync is
highly desired).

Thanks,
Alexander