[MPlayer-users] Mplayer Inverse Telecine while changing frame rate

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 22:41:39 CEST 2009

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:52:40 -0400
Ergzay <ergzay at gmail.com> wrote:

> It really doesn't exist, huh? Dang, I had thought for sure there was
> some possible way of doing it.

Well, actually, there is... almost...  depending on whether your
hardware is up to the job, but it doesn't work quite as you want.

With -vo gl and -vf tfields, you can output double frame-rate material
directly.  ie, output every field as a frame.  Then, you can play
telecined material just as if you were on an interlaced display (eg. a
TV).

Or with -vo xvmc, and 'Option      "XvmcUsesTextures" "on" ' in your
xorg.conf using the NVidia driver, you'll get about the same results as
with -vo gl above, but with hardware accelerat.e decoding.

With -vo xv, I think you can use -vf yadif=3 to get the same effect,
with even worse performance than either of the above choices...

There's probably some similar way to use vadpu, but I haven't gotten
around to trying it yet.

There are two great big footnotes to this, however.  #1, you'll probably
more than double the CPU requirements for playback, which just isn't an
option with something like highdef H.264.  And #2, the timing never
seems to be quite right, and I get lots of aliasing noise, and fast
objects like side-scrolling news tickers look horrible and unreadable..
Maybe it's because I'm always trying to output 60Hz material on an
interlaced 60Hz TV, but in any case, that's been my experience with
it...  The best option available, but certainly not perfect.

--
Don't trust me! I'm wrong!