[MPlayer-users] embedding MPlayer into a window in MacOS

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Jun 23 12:57:46 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:45:33AM +0200, Adrian Stutz wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Reimar
> Döffinger<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Well, I would expect that implementing -wid might be possible, too, but
> > for what I know nobody ever tried (and I do not own a Mac)...
>
> I don't think it is. OSX is more restrictive in this regard and
> doesn't let a process access other processes' windows. Two exceptions
> are getting bitmaps of windows and the accessibility API, which is
> more for interacting with an application's interface than to push a
> video to one of it's windows.

It isn't done one like that on Windows either, because the NVidia driver
is buggy and can not handle drawing into a window that belongs into a
different process (at least IMO that clearly is a video driver bug).
All you need to be able is:
1) Getting size and position of another processes' windows
2) Create and draw your own Window and keep it on top of that

2) is simplified on Windows by creating our own Window as a child window
of the -wid one, thus we do not need to handle position changes but only
resizes.