[MPlayer-users] mencoder illegal instruction

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Mar 10 14:45:59 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 01:43:42PM +0100, Wolfgang Breyha wrote:
> x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 Cache64

> (gdb) disass $pc-32 $pc+32
> Dump of assembler code from 0x6355e9b to 0x6355edb:
> 0x06355e9b:	add    %ebx,%edx
> 0x06355e9d:	sub    $0x4,%eax
> 0x06355ea0:	jge    0x6355e14
> 0x06355ea6:	shr    %edx
> 0x06355ea8:	add    $0x8,%edx
> 0x06355eab:	and    $0xfffffff0,%edx
> 0x06355eae:	mov    0x78(%esp),%eax
> 0x06355eb2:	xor    %ebx,%ebx
> 0x06355eb4:	xor    %esi,%esi
> 0x06355eb6:	call   0x6353830
> 0x06355ebb:	pabsw  %mm3,%mm1
> 0x06355ebf:	pabsw  %mm4,%mm5
> 0x06355ec3:	pabsw  %mm2,%mm7

x264 obviously uses SSSE3

> Program terminated with signal 4, Illegal instruction.

And obviously either your CPU or kernel don't seem to support it.
And unless you compile things yourself (and in particular do not use
versions several months old) that is all the help you will get here,
since we can not know if maybe whoever created the binaries did
something incredibly stupid.