[MPlayer-users] svn MPlayer + VDPAU = ???

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Mar 11 23:48:26 CET 2009

Gregoire Favre wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 05:21:26PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Not for me - I did initial testing with just '-vo vdpau', and now
>> I've added "vo=vdpau" to my config file and I don't have to think
>> about it anymore.
>
> If you always want to use vdpau... I don't as gl2 gives better result
> here as when there is no vdpaucodec. I didn't noticed that the -vc
> part wasn't needed anymore ???
>
> I just tested with my rev 28930 and at least for this release you
> need the vc part in order to have hw acceleration.

Doesn't seem to be the case for me; in my initial testing I got 0% CPU
utilization with -vo vdpau, and significant CPU utilization with -vo xv,
on the same video, with no other options. That was with (I believe)
r28545, since r28546 broke fullscreen playback with default options for
me, and I hadn't found the workaround yet.

>> I boggle at the thought that someone might find those complicated
>> scripts necessary...
>
> If you don't need any fancy things, maybe you don't, but for example
> my audio decoder can't handle DTS but only AC3, so a part of my
> script is just to have on the fly conversion from DTS to AC3 in case
> the file come with AC3.

I don't understand what you mean by this, unless you're saying that your
version of MPlayer doesn't support the one but does support the other.
(Or maybe you're saying that you have hardware which can do decoding of
the one but not the other - in which case I say, I don't see the point
of doing audio decoding in hardware.)

In any case, I never said you *didn't* need it, just that I find the
fact boggling.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.