[MPlayer-users] Cutting DVD video with the '-sb' and '-endpos' options

Jonathan Busby jonathanbusby at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 19:53:12 CET 2009

Hello. I have been trying to find a way to cut, with single frame accuracy,
an MPEG-2 PS stream from a DVD. The problem is that the source DVD stream
is a mix of hard-telecined, interlaced, and progressive content. This
means, unfortunately, that I can't use my usual cutting tool, Avidemux,
because of it's horribly broken MPEG (de)muxer ie. horrible A/V
desynch when the portion of the video stream selected for cutting is
saved.

So, I thought I could get around this using something like :

'mplayer dvd://2 -sb x -endpos y -dumpstream'

The above though is predicated on a certain behavior,
namely that when I play the video and use '.' to frame-step,
Mplayer should output the byte position of the current frame
to the console. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to do this as even
using the option 'msglevel all=9' does not seem to produce the required
information, unless I'm misinterpreting/misunderstanding the output
which I hope *is* the case.

Does anyone know how to accomplish what I've described above?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jonathan