[MPlayer-users] File format misdetected

PO x75 at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 23 04:36:48 CET 2009

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 07:04:58PM +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
>
>> I grabbed a number of files from a digital camera using `dvgrab'.
>> `file' identifies all of them as "DIF (DV) movie file (PAL)":
>>
>> ...but mplayer refuses to play dvgrab-005.dv:
>>

> Is the content of the file so you could make it available to us?
> There have been patches to improve DV file handling, but with only the
> few sample files we have it got stuck in an endless discussion...
> In the mean time you could try -demuxer dv though.

I use a DV cam for alot of my recording and do the capture to drive with
dvgrab. When I installed dvgrab and kino I remember reading something
about the program only working properly in 4/3 NTSC mode. While
capturing, I notice that if I set the cam to 16/9 NTSC I still get a
16/9 picture in a 4/3 resolution that I need to fiddle with to get to
proper 16/9 widescreen. Mplayer/encoder does a good job at this, though.
Make sure your cam is set to 4/3 and your dvgrab settings are set to 4/3
NTSC for best results. This is what works for me, your mileage may vary
greatly.

PO