[MPlayer-users] TV timeshifting

Jimmy Dansbo jimmy at dmbox.dk
Sun Mar 29 10:55:00 CEST 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Nico Sabbi <nicola.sabbi at poste.it> wrote:

> 4 seconds of keyint should be reasonably small. Does seeking improve if
> you use vcodec=mpeg2video ?
> In any case you had better use -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf

After changing vcoded to mpeg2video instead of mpeg4 and adding the
-mpegopts to mencoder. Things are working perfectly.

I am now able to seek forward and backward with reasonable accuracy and I do
not even have to add the -idx switch when I start mplayer.

To help others with similar problems, here are the exact settings I use:
mencoder -tv device=/dev/video0:normid=3:fps=25:\
alsa=1:adevice=hw.1,0:amode=1:audiorate=48000:\
volume=100:immediatemode=0:buffersize=32:\
channels=E10-ch1,E8-ch2,R6-ch3 \
-ovc lavc \
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vhq:keyint=100:vbitrate=2000 \
-oac mp3lame \
-lameopts vbr=0 \
-of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf \
-o recording.mpg \
tv://1

1 minute of video takes up about 15 MB and is fairly good quality.

Thanks for your help.
Best regards
Jimmy