[MPlayer-users] mpeg2video slow seeking in Windows apps

Jesse L. Zamora xtremek2009 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 19:02:19 CEST 2009

Hello everyone,

I tried to record from a TV device using mencoder to a mpeg2 file. The file IS
compatible with Windows,  the video is quite slow in VLC, Windows Media
Player, and Ulead MovieFactory (and probably others too) Here's the command I
used:

mencoder tv://3 -tv chanlist=us-bcast:norm=NTSC:buffersize=20 -of mpeg -oac
lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=4100 -o
~/Record.mpg

When playing the video, it's not freezy or anything, but seeking to a
different time in the video takes several seconds to load. Mplayer has no
difficulties playing back & seeking in the video.

Has anyone experienced this problem before here? Maybe there's a format that
might work better than Mpeg2 with the -of mpeg? Or maybe there's a small
discrepancy in my command line? One thing I noticed was that playing back the
video reports a video bitrate of 0.0 KB/s. That's pretty strange if I might
say.....

Thanks,
Jesse L. Zamora