[MPlayer-users] no display of VOB subtitle streams

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Mar 30 18:40:48 CEST 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:08:29AM -0600, Steve Dibb wrote:
> This is slightly related, and forgive me for trying to get this one in
> there, but it's also an old subtitle bug that's been hanging around for
> awhile ... matroska videos with VOBSUB will automatically display the
> subtitles regardless of user config.  You have to hit 'j' on the
> keyboard to get them to go away.
>
> Found a sample in archives that does it:
> http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/archive/all/matroska%2bh264%2bmp3%2bdvdsub%2breddwarf-vobsub.mkv

Well, as the -v output writes:
[mkv] | + a track...
[mkv] |  + Track number: 4
[mkv] |  + Track type: Subtitle
[mkv] |  + Default flag: 1
[mkv] |  + Codec ID: S_VOBSUB
[mkv] |  + CodecPrivate, length 167
[mkv] |  + Language: cze
[mkv] |  + Name: Czech subtitles

The "Default flag" thing indicates that whoever created that file wanted
the subtitles to be on by default, so MPlayer behaves right in principle.
I guess maybe mkvmerge could be used to change that setting.
Apart from that, maybe there should be a way to ignore this, though the
question then is: how? Reusing the -noautosub for this? Or using -nosub
(like -nosound) or?