[MPlayer-users] MPEG2 decoding

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Sun May 3 00:18:15 CEST 2009

Playing MPEG2, mplayer is attempting to use the mpegpes video
driver:
  Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
which seems reasonable, given that I'm playing an MPEG2 file. However,
  Opening video filter: [scale]
  The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
  Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
  e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
  VDecoder init failed :(
  Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
  Selected video codec: [ffmpeg2] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-2)

I'm puzzled as to what's going on here, especially as mpegpes appears
to be associated with DVB, which I'm certainly not using, this being
USA. Video is provided by nVidia i730

Also, as I see lots of
  Too many video/audio packets in the buffer
and I notice desynchronization between audio and video it either starts
out with the audio ahead of the video or not.

The fact that this is part of the mpeges doc makes me wonder if perhaps
there's a problem with direct playing of MPEG2. (Needless to say that
the options suggested for DVB don't alter the problem)

Suggestions?