[MPlayer-users] panscan not working

Jake Briggs jakbri at coretech.co.nz
Thu May 14 01:36:19 CEST 2009

Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Jake Briggs <jakbri <at> coretech.co.nz> writes:
>

>> Now, on my workmates laptop, it does work. The test video (I tried many)
>> is a 4:3 video, we are both paying it on non 4:3 displays. Playing it
>> full screen, and hitting the w and e buttons "zooms" the video - cutting
>> off the image at the top and bottom until the left and right sides
>> extend to the width of the screen.
>>

> Either the video or the display are not 4:3 or the behaviour of mplayer is
> correct: panscan only works if the aspect ratio of video and display are
> different.

Okay, the display is 16:9 - but I haven't told mplayer that with the
monitoraspect option, I haven't used that option at all. The video is
4:3. Perhaps if I tell mplayer explicitly with monitoraspect it will work.

I am using mplayer with freevo, the command it uses to play video is :

/usr/bin/mplayer -slave -vo xv,sdl,x11, -ao oss:/dev/dsp -autosync 100
-nolirc -nojoystick -autoq 100 -screenw 1360 -screenh 768 -fs -idx -vf
pp=de //freevo-links/unwatched/Tv/somevideo.avi

The effect is the same when I type the command by hand on the console :

mplayer -vo xv somevideo.avi

I am telling mplayer my resolution with "-screenw 1360 -screenh 768".
Perhaps that is not enough.

>> I am using the xv output for video out. I am using version 1.0rc2-4.3.3
>>

> Only latest svn is supported on this mailing list.

Okay, my version was latest svn a couple of weeks ago though - I'll get
latest svn, and try from that. Thanks for your suggestions!