[MPlayer-users] mplayer hanging when no audio in stream

Matthew Kwan mkwan at vivatel.com.au
Sun May 17 09:43:38 CEST 2009

>Well, it seems your cam creates a file that it claims to contain audio
>but forgets to actually put any audio in.

Sounds plausible. It's a webcam that's audio-enabled, but I think our
customer unplugged the microphone. To save bandwidth it probably doesn't
send silent audio packets.

>You could try -dumpstream and see if that file has the same issue and
>make that available to use.

When I downloaded a sample of the stream with wget it played fine
(silently of course), but that's probably because mplayer could seek to
the end.

>You could also try -demuxer lavf.

No luck. It uses the ffmpeg codecs, which don't work with this stream.

>Otherwise you will just have to use -nosound or get your camera
>manufacturer to change their code to make it create files that make
>sense, i.e. either
>1) they claim to have audio and actually have audio or
>2) they don't claim to have audio in the file when they actually don't.

The camera manufacturer is Linksys/Cisco. I don't think they'll fix it
by Monday!

Regards,

mkwan