[MPlayer-users] Solaris 10: /bin/sh != /bin/bash, and more

Nico Sabbi Nicola.Sabbi at poste.it
Wed May 20 11:40:37 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 20 May 2009 11:33:37 Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
> Matus UHLAR - fantomas schrieb:

> > On 19.05.09 08:27, Mike Castle wrote:
> >> Sun and their crazy naming scheme.
> >
> > You mean, Oracle? ;-)
>
> I thought the name Solaris came up a little bit before Oracle took
> over Sun... BTW: I didn't know the takeover has even completed yet.
>
> > Solaris was initially a bundle of SunOS, OpenWindows and
> > OpenNetworkCopmuting ...
>
> Yes. And now the SunOS part is called ON (OS/Net consolidation) on
> opensolaris.org.
>
> But much worse is the naming scheme of the compiler suite. Although
> it seems to have stabilized to "Sun Studio".
>
> But with the Oracle takeover we can expects all names to change
> once again. But who cares, as long as Solaris stays open source and
> the most innovative platform.
>
> - Thomas

if it only were 10% as stable as it is innovative, rathen
than "selling" new stuff as stable (ZFS first and foremost) and if it
only weren't distributed in such a manner as to be still compatible
with trilobites command line, and if it weren't sooooooooooo much
messy as to make you wish to to use something else.
And if it finally integrated virtual consoles in ON... how can they
distribute a Unix without virtual consoles??????????