[MPlayer-users] Solaris 10: /bin/sh != /bin/bash, and more

Thomas Maier-Komor thomas at maier-komor.de
Wed May 20 13:25:58 CEST 2009

Nico Sabbi schrieb:
> On Wednesday 20 May 2009 12:57:11 Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
>
>> Concerning stability, I really don't know if we are talking about
>> the same system. Solaris has always been rock stable for me - not
>> only concerning runtime behavior, but also concerning config files
>> and upgrade procedures.
>>
>> ZFS hasn't let me down once, which I can't say of other
>> filesystems. It didn't start with the best performance, but it has
>> improved from release to release, and already has features in place
>> which are years ahead over anything else that is planned by
>> competitors.
>
> I had 2 massive data losses for having trusted ZFS and 3 reboots for
> having dared to compile ON and eclipse.

I would be interested to hear, what happened that caused a data loss
with ZFS. ZFS is build pretty robust, but still requires users to do
some carefully planning.

Compiling ON is certainly some interesting stuff, I wouldn't say it's
something for day-to-day business unless you are a Solaris developer.
Anyway, I doubt that doing a simple build will bring SunOS to a point
where you need to reboot. Doing a BFU, will certainly force you to this
point, but this is again something that isn't meant to be done in a
production environment.

>> Virtual consoles? At first I lacked them, too. But once you had a
>> machine with a serial connection as a console, I used screen as a
>> virtual console replacement.
>
> why a serial console if you have a screen and a keyboard under your
> nose?

because a server usually sits in a noisy room, which is inconvenient to
work in and might be miles away... If you haven't used ALOM yet, you
should really try it out. Remote reboot, power-on/off, self-test, etc...