[MPlayer-users] Wish: improved vobsub support

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Thu May 21 02:45:06 CEST 2009

Mike Castle wrote:

> Have you tried yadif?   I tried to come up with a one size fits all
> solution, and yadif seems to work for me.  I haven't done that much
> anime specifically, and the ones that I have would probably be ones
> that tend to get more care.  But, from what I've seen so far, using
> yadif, and putting the movie and the vobsubs together into MKV files
> have been great.
>
> More importantly, with using MKV, if I have multiple sources of
> vobsubs (i.e., multiple languages, and I even extract closed
> captioning), I can have them all in there, and have a choice.  With
> hardsubs, that choice is taken away.
>
> mrc

Yes, I've experimented with Yadiff.. I much prefer the reverse telecine
process when using a source that it works with.  But by it's very
nature, that means you change the video from 30fps Telecined to 24fps
progressive.

It's not like I lose the DVD's if I wanted choice in the future :).. but
in those cases where Mencoder detects the subs properly and renders them
white with black outline (or even sometimes black with White outline)
they look really good and are easy to read.  Not as good as ass fansubs,
of course, but the next best thing IMHO.  Unfortunately, that leaves
about 10% of the videos I've tried with no good sub, since they get
rendered in semi-transparent shades of grey.  (though to be honest, in
most cases, I still prefer viewing with these, but it's far from optimal.)

My standard recipe for anime is simply:

mencoder title.vob -sid 0 -aid 129 -vf pullup,softskip,hqdn3d -ofps
24000/1001 -oac copy -ovc x264 -x264encopts crf=10:threads=2 -o movie.avi

The bitrate will be very high, but the encoding is fast enough that I
can watch the video as it's encoding.  And the quality is good enough
that I can always produce a more size optimized encode from it with
little loss of quality.  But since these aren't being transmitted over
Internet, there's really no point.