[MPlayer-users] DVDNAV problem: subtitles

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Nov 5 22:08:43 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 12:25:14AM -0200, Dâniel Fraga wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 23:14:40 +0100
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Well, do you get working subtitles somehow? At which numbers?
> > Both when switching with 'j' and when selecting with -sid?
>
> 	With "j" I get:
>
> (0) en         = English
> (1) en (again) = English
> (2) unknown    = Portuguese
> (3) unknown    = Portuguese
> (4) _S         = English
> (5) _S         = English
> (6) _S         = Portuguese
> (7) _S         = Portuguese
> (...)
>
> 	And from (8) to (31) (both "_S") it displays nothing.
>
> 	Notice the duplication (0 & 1, 2 & 3, 4 & 5, 6 & 7).
>
> 	Of course there isn't 31 subtitles, just 2.

Just to clarify what is "normal" and what isn't:
duplicate entries can happen e.g. because the DVD contains different
subtitles for e.g. 4:3 vs. 16:9 or such.
"holes" in the numbering where MPlayer says "unknown" and/or there
are no subtitles are "normal" for now, too.
However that it shows "unknown" for Portuguese and that _S for the
others is unusual and I think a bug (not just a missing "feature"),
however I have not been able to reproduce it, not even with the
"Lord of the Rings" extended edition that had lots of subtitle
issues in the past.
I admit I did not test all DVDs I have though.
Anyway, I applied the patch in this thread, it seems to fix more cases
than it breaks, and -sid and -slang now generally work for me.
Oh, btw, how does -slang work for that DVD?