[MPlayer-users] dvdnav buttons missing or non-clickable, and mencoder compile error

S Andreason sandreas41 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 21:09:27 CET 2009

Hi,
 From reading your messages the last few days, it sounds like dvdnav is
working, so I updated mplayer by SVN this morning, but I still find no
improvement in playing the navigation of dvd's.

Problem description:
 > mplayer-svn20091111 dvdnav://
DVD in drive, Top vmgm menu plays, no button highlights visible,
clicking does nothing, and does not loop like it is supposed to. After
menu video plays, it stops with last frame on screen while the OSD and
text counters continue to increment the V: seconds.
Must [q] to quit. The menu is the Last title on the disc. This is
relevant for the next examples.

mplayer output results:
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-1-fromdisc-parelli45.log

 > mplayer-svn20091111 dvdnav:// DVDlambert.udf
DVD image I created, Top vmgm menu plays, no buttons at all, immediately
jumps to title 1 menu, and title 1, then title 2 menus, title 2 titles,
etc. No stopping. (I'm not waiting for it to get to the last file, I
assume it stops on last frame.)

 > mplayer-svn20091111 dvdnav:// DVDTrouble2j.udf
Another DVD image I created, but at the end of vmgm video clip, where
the buttons are supposed to be drawn while the video continues a couple
more seconds, the screen distorts into a blur of various squares from
the picture. This SECOND problem seems like a separate issue, and I know
you'll ask for me to upload part of the udf file, but I am on dialup. I
do immediately have screenshots (-vf screenshot) to make available.
Here are the last frame and 3 subsequent frames (compressed as jpg) as
examples:
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-T2j-shot0071.jpg
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-T2j-shot0072.jpg
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-T2j-shot0101.jpg
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-T2j-shot0145.jpg

mplayer output results:
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-1-fromfile-T2j-corruption.log

Playing this image burned to dvd disc gives the same result.

Interesting, while working up this bug report, at the point where I used
dd to make a 5mb file from the udf, I still had a Parelli DVD in the
drive, and when I did:
 > mplayer -v dvdnav:// DVDTrouble2j-short.udf
it read from the drive, and did not play the file.
Then after removing the disc, and playing from the file, the corruption
problem went away, and now it just keeps going, title, menu, title, etc...
Believing something got confused in memory, I rebooted, but I find it
stays fixed, or no video corruption. So the confusion or corruption
actually occurred earlier, so could be anything I did this morning, up
to and including the make compile. But, it did stay consistant through
all the runs, allowing me to get screenshots and log the output with one
verbosity, for what that is worth...

Also now, I notice the button background does show, whereas on the other
udf file, DVDlambert.udf, it does not show the buttons.
So I am still getting a difference there.
In all cases, the button _Highlight_ square does not show, and I can not
click. That remains constant.

All the above examples work correctly with ogle (whose interface I don't
like), and the results are unchanged from svn download from 20090805,
when I started downloading from svn to see if I could yet use mplayer to
test my dvdauthor files. So it is high time to report this.

Further, running from 1.0rc2 compiled last year is different: (I did
this early on, while the video corruption issue was present, note it did
not happen with these older versions...)
 > mplayer-1.0rc2-p3-20080417 dvdnav:// DVDTrouble2j.udf
This does show the buttons spumux layer, but they are still not
clickable, and at the end of the vmgm menu, it goes directly to title 1
menu, and then title 1, etc...
 > mplayer-1.0pre3 dvdnav:// DVDTrouble2j.udf
Compiled 2003.Dec.14 same results as 1.0rc2

Third problem, I got a compile error for mencoder (after it finishes
compiling mplayer). This has been true for all SVN versions I have
downloaded.

I am running on: Linux 2.6.24.7 custom now, originally from a Slackware
distribution 9 years ago
 > uname -a
Linux Roxy 2.6.24.7 #5 Sat Aug 15 13:55:52 PDT 2009 i686 unknown
 > ls -l /lib/libc[.-]*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root     11689954 Jan 25  2003 /lib/libc-2.3.1.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root     18994035 Aug 29  2006 /lib/libc-2.3.2.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      7354583 Jul 12  2008 /lib/libc-2.7.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Jul 12  2008 /lib/libc.so.6
-> libc-2.7.so
 > gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i686-pc-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../gcc-4.2.3/configure --prefix=/usr/local
--enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-bootstrap
--enable-languages=c,c++ --enable-checking=release --disable-nls
--with-arch=i586 --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-__cxa_atexit
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.2.3
 > ld -v
GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.18
 > as --version
GNU assembler (GNU Binutils) 2.18
This assembler was configured for a target of `i686-pc-linux-gnu'.

WindowMaker 0.92.0
gtk+ 2.10.14
glib 2.18.4

# lspci -vv
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/lspci-out.txt

 > configure
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-1-results-configure.txt

Two requested config files:
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-1-config.h
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-1-config.mak

 > make results for 1st run-thru, stops at problem# Three. (the Esc
codes for cat or less -R are added by my colorize script.)
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-1-results-make-clip.txt

So which of my dependencies are at fault, and not getting caught by
configure? Or, if it is not that, then please advise what to check next.

Thank you,
Stewart