[MPlayer-users] dvdnav buttons missing or non-clickable, and mencoder compile error

S Andreason sandreas41 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 00:07:23 CET 2009

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> I'm sorry to say it so bluntly, but you don't seem to have any
> idea what you are doing.

Well, at least I agree with you!

> The correct syntax here is
> dvdnav:// -dvd-device DVDlambert.udf

So I left out one parameter. At least I got close.

> You should be able to use the keypad for navigation though.

Actually, without adding the profile to the config file, I couldn't see
the white-box cursor, and I couldn't leave the vmgm menu. And this Was
from a DVD disc.

> In particular for dvdnav you should use the options
> -nocache -enable-mouse-movements

So -nocache is required to see the cursor.
I could wonder why it is not the default...

> See also the end of the file etc/example.conf in the MPlayer source
> how to have them added by default.

Ah, I missed that. Thank you.

Now that I have that fixed, I do still have some problems.
First, Problem# TWO is back.
With the dvd disc inserted, burned from DVDTrouble2j.udf
 > mplayer-svn20091111 dvdnav://
At the end of the vmgm menu, the wild blur of squares looks like a
kaleidoscope.
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-4-shot0001.jpg
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-4-shot0002.jpg
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-4-shot0003.jpg

It is similar to the screenshots I posted in my first email. Except now,
the nav cursor, the white square is on top, and can be moved around
while the blur of squares keeps on going by. The OSD is also on top and
is clean.

also, if I try this again with the 5Mb small.udf made with dd
 > mplayer-svn20091111 dvdnav:// -dvd-device DVDTrouble2j-small.udf
It does it here again. Although I would not be surprised by some kind of
distortion when the file being played reaches an unexpected EOF, here it
doesn't stop, it keeps going.

So should I see this kaleidoscope from a truncated file?

I can dd a 1Mb version, and it seems to be reproducable. Should I upload
this sample?

Second, I have problem# Four, but is actually another variation of
problem# Two.
It is only visible with the dvdauthor I made, and involves the menus I
made. Small mpg processed with spumux and converted to VOB, they are
very short, usually 4 frames. Whereas the opening menu is much longer,
they both are made with the same process, and are affected.
When played as dvdnav, either by file or on burned dvd disc, The
background progressively becomes pixelated and distorted. The longer I
watch, the larger the blocks of pixelated garbage become.
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-2-shot0001.jpg
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-2-shot0003.jpg

There is a difference between the longer opening movie, which becomes a
swirl kaleidoscope, and the 4 frame non-moving menus that do not swirl,
but just become larger and larger garbage.
Here is a non-moving menu, that goes beyond just a few spots on the screen.
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-4-shot0004.jpg

mplayer output log file:
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-2-fromfile-T2j.log

I should author a short sample of these menus, and upload that instead.

Also, problem# Five. The spumux text highlight layer is not visible.
Because my spumux highlight image layer is both a border plus white
text, (2-color max palette), it is not showing, and therefore I can not
read any of the menus.
The white cursor block is not a suitable replacement for the highlight
layer, in my case.
http://seahorseCorral.org/bugreport/mplayer-2-shot0003.jpg
I don't doubt that is my problem, but I also doubt I'm the only one to
get unexpected results with custom made menus.

Also, #6 perhaps not a real problem, but I get a segfault when trying to
navigate to a non-existent block, playing the small.udf made with dd.
I have the gdb backtrace, assuming it should not do this. Please reply
if it shouldn't.

Stewart