[MPlayer-users] Sound broken.

Helmut Metzdorf privat at h-j-metzdorf.de
Mon Nov 16 15:57:40 CET 2009

Hi,

Since more than two years I'm using ogmrip.
Running Debian testing (aka squeeze) on a AMD64 dual core
4Ghz box I suddenly noticed that it was not working any
longer since the maintainer put up a new version of
mplayer as of 10.26.2009.

Since then the issued commands

mplayer -nolirc -nocache -noframedrop -noconfig all -vc
dummy -vo null -ao pcm:nowaveheader:file=/tmp/fifo.KJHD3U
-af volnorm=1 -channels 2 -aid 128 -dvd-device
/(path to dvd source) dvd://1

oggenc -r -R 48000 -C 2 -q 5 -o /tmp/audio.IKHD3U
/tmp/fifo.KJHD3U

to create the sound file for the resulting video seem to
produce strange results. The sound appears to be
background noise incredibly amplified with the movie
sound on top of it.

The problem continued with the latest mplayer version
as of 11.01.2009 the Maintainer has put up.

To make sure that this is a mplayer issue I started the
commands manually with the same results.

In an attempt to pinpoint the source of that I checked
out the latest svn version of mplayer and did an
upgrade -r to 10.10.2009. A grep -r pcm mplayer revealed
by far too much changes for me to take a closer look at
first because I'm not conversant with the matter of codecs
and second I have not done any c-programming for more than
10 years.

Hope you can make something of it.

Regards

Helmut