[MPlayer-users] Current song filename

Alexey Mishustin shumkar at shumkar.ru
Thu Oct 1 19:18:26 CEST 2009

В Чтв, 01/10/2009 в 20:59 +0400, Alexey Mishustin пишет:

> > where do you expect STDOUT to be if not where you started the
> program in
> > the first place?
>
> I start mplayer in the shell. So I expect its STDOUT to be in the
> shell
> too, like STDOUT of "audtool --current-song-filename".

I found a discussion related to the topic (but using perl) at
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-739016-start-0.html .

The main idea is:
You may be able to get more control by ... directing mplayer to read
from stdin instead of from the fifo. You then write to the pipe attached
to mplayer's stdin, and read from the pipe attached to its stdout.

So, I understand that I need to correct my question:
How to launch mplayer with pipes on its stdin and stdout? Using only
shell, no perl.

--
Regards,
Alex