[MPlayer-users] mplayer VDPAU support

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Oct 8 00:01:06 CEST 2009

kkumar s <kumars2007 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> From my understanding , using mplayer with VDPAU , motion compensation is
> offloaded  to the GPU,

Motion Compensation, Inverse Discrete Cosine Transformation and Variable-Length
Decoding.

> so the vdpau should take care of storing the reference frames.

Where in the VDPAU documentation does it say so?

> If so why does the mplayer need to  call ff_vdpau_h264_set_reference_frames()
> APIs,  does this store the decoded frame for reference in CPU ?  Can you please
> explain what this function achieves ?

This is explained in /usr/include/vdpau.h and
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/vdpau/doxygen/html/index.html
If you want to make suggestions how to improve the documentation (or want to ask
about it), please post at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14
(changes were made to the documentation before because of specific
questions/suggestions).

Carl Eugen