[MPlayer-users] Window-Background in Firefox

Markus Senoner markus at senoner.com
Fri Oct 9 11:22:41 CEST 2009

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Kevin DeKorte wrote:
> On 10/08/09 10:39, Krzysztof Duchnowski wrote:
>> Markus Senoner pisze:
>>> Firefox on Ubuntu shows Videos in a Window, which initially has a
>>> white background, before video-playback starts 1 or 2 seconds later.
>>>
>>> I need to:
>>> - change that background-color to back

I found out, that the background-color used by the gecko-mediaplayer
plugin comes from the Gnome User-interface.

That really should be settable in some config-file, as I don't want to
change my desktop-theme.

>>> - avoid the delay of 2 seconds before video plays

I'm using a slow pc, and observe 2 delays:
- first the Gnome-Desktop-color is shown 2 seconds
- then a black background is shown several seconds on larger videos
   before playback starts
Adding "cachesize=0" or "nocache=1" in  ~/.mplayer/config had no effect
on video-startup - did I miss something?

>>> - I see Firefox places a copy of the video in /tmp (e.g.
>>>   /tmp/geckoG842Vl) each time a page with a video is shown.
>>>   How can I avoid this copying?
>>
>> So move your "/tmp" to the RAM ( use TMPFS filesystem ) to save your
>> flash-drive from worn-out by massive save cycles.

I'll try that.  But does this also speed up the start of the video?

> Based on the temp filename, I'm guessing gecko-mediaplayer.. Might try
> upgrading to a recent version, I can tell from the filename that it is
> old, since cache files are now stored in ~/.cache/gnome-mplayer/plugin.
> And then adjust the cache settings in gnome-mplayer.

Yes Kevin, we use gecko-mediaplayer - sorry I didn't mention that.

We are using Ubuntu 8.04.2 and need everything to be very stable, as the
pc showing the videos in a browser-frame should run unattended for days!
Which is the most recent stable version?

> Ask followup questions to on the gecko-mediaplayer mailing list.
> http://groups.google.com/group/gecko-mediaplayer

I'll subscribe ...

thanks,
Markus