[MPlayer-users] Creating Thumbnails of Videos

Ruchira Randana Galappaththi ruchiram4 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 21 11:46:13 CEST 2009

Hi, I'm using MPlayer to automatically create thumbnails from a video. I can successfully create thumbnails, but I cannot figure out a way to identify the orientation of the video.
Some videos are recorded as portraits, while others are in landscape mode. When creating a thumbnail, I cannot figure out a way to decide whether the video is actually in landscape mode of in portrait mode. I need to do this programatically, so a visual identification of the video is not going to help.
I have tried to use the following command

C:\mplayer -vf rotate=5 -vo jpeg:outdir="./a" IMG.MOV

But it does not work :(

Can somebody please be helpful.

Thanks in anticipation.