[MPlayer-users] X11 Issue with fork and execve of mplayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Apr 20 21:22:11 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 12:39:15PM +0530, Vijay Anand wrote:
> >For the same reason as mentioned (which I realized after not
> >having a showable widget in the code) I used a fixed layout
> >container and have added the gtksocket to the container and the
> >fixed layout is added to the top level window and the widgets of
> >the window are then shown. But even then it does'nt work.
> >The usage of gtksocket which seems to be a hack according to you
> >is the method followed in gnome-mplayer code.
> >Are you suggesting to use an EventBox or Drawing Area widget and
> >provide its window ID to mplayer and drop the gtksocket approach?
> Döffinger, Can you reply for question?

What can I reply? If the GtkSocket approach works for gnome-mplayer
but doesn't work for you there's obviously a bug in your code,
and I don't think changing to a different widget will fix that bug.
It shouldn't really matter what kind of Gui widget you use, GtkSocket
is just confusing because it might give the false impression that
MPlayer uses the XEmbed protocol, while most other widgets might
needlessly redraw themselves causing flicker with -vo x11 and generally
wasting CPU time.