[MPlayer-users] How can I force mplayer to drop frames more consistently?

Dark Shadow shadowofdarkness at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 04:48:59 CEST 2010

> The framedrop functionality can be improved, and I've tested enhanced
> versions of it. However consistent "drop every second frame" is not
> doable for all sources because of the way frames depend on each other;
> you can't skip decoding of odd frames and only them if motion
> compensation in even frames refers to the odd ones.

Ok that is understandable

> If you're using an svn version of MPlayer, then the better VDPAU support
> in git can give improved performance. However the difference is unlikely
> to be big enough to improve from 48 to 60. But there is another
> alternative, using (possibly threaded) software decoding. Is there a
> reason why you'd need to specifically use the hardware decoding in
> VDPAU?

Yes I am using SVN from 3 days ago

>> Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       Q 720  @ 1.60GHz
>
> I think this should be plenty fast enough to do software decoding of 60
> Hz 1920x1080 video with 4 threads.
>
> If you haven't looked into threaded decoding before,
> git clone git://repo.or.cz/mplayer-build.git
> and see the README for some thread-related information. Depending on
> your Linux distribution there may also be suitable binary packages.

I will look into that. Luckily it will be awhile till it is needed
since I am just working with a sample from the internet, just to do
research in the thought of maybe buying a Camcorder that does that.
Plus it may not need a full 4 threads since when I did tests of retail
Blu-ray 1080/24p quality (I have a BD drive) it can just about do it
with just a little random slowness on what I a pretty sure is a single
thread xv output.