[MPlayer-users] Forcing other framerates

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Sun Apr 25 13:52:51 CEST 2010

> As of my knowledge forcing an LCD panel to other framerates than it
> supports natively may kill it... ?!

Don't worry, it will not kill anything. It's true, the LCD itsself always
operates at the same frequency which can not be changed. If you use
another frequency, you will probably get no picture at all, or a heavily
distorted one. _But_ that frequency is fed to the LCD commonly via TTL or
LVDS signals, a quite not-standardized type of connection which you
probably have never seen. A standalone TFT screen is connected to the PC
via VGA or DVI, which is then translated to the specific type of signal
the TFT can display. This translation hardware will not produce any
damaging frequencies, nevermind what signal you feed into it. The
conversion may be better or worse on certain frequencies, but there can't
be any dangerous frequency.

Destroying monitors via software was indeed possible with fixed-frequency
VGA CRT screens which were common back in the 1990s...

> According to nvidia-setting 1920x1200 resolution is bound to 60Hz...

That is 1920x1200x60=138.24 million pixel per second, on DVI link that is
414.72 million bytes per second or more than 3 gigabit. That's the maximum
the DVI port (operating in single-link mode) can handle. So you can't
increase the frame rate at that resolution.

Greets,
Kiste