[MPlayer-users] Forcing other framerates

meino.cramer at gmx.de meino.cramer at gmx.de
Mon Apr 26 04:43:33 CEST 2010

RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> [10-04-25 20:00]:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:32:40 +0200
> meino.cramer at gmx.de wrote:
>
> >  I bought a new LCD monitor with 60Hz framerate.
> >  When playing videos sometimes I git a distortet
> >  screen (not only with mplayer!!!). I think, it
> >  is because the video plays at 50Hz framerate
> >  which then interferes with the 60Hz refresh rate
> >  of the monitor.
>
> LCDs effectively do not have a refresh rate (or a "framerate").
>
> You've not described what this "distortet screen" problem is, so nobody
> can possibly help.
>

> --
> Ha. I'm the idiot.

If LCDs have no framerate or refresh rate, they will not draw
frames from top to bottom? How then?

A try for a better explanation:
Certain videos (for example the Neo<->Smith fight sceen in Matrix
Revoluitions) with fast changing lightning conditions expose some
screen distortions.

They are of two kind:
The upper half of the screen is still in "bright condition"
when the lower half is in "dark condition" -- what comes first
and where this "break" is, depends. Also varying is the position
of this "break" on the screen.

The other distortion is based on similiar lightning conditions
(fast changes) and looks like a small stripe of video has been
drawn to much left or right compared to the rest of the screen.

I can describe how it looks like and I may have an idea what
the root of the problem ("I have an idea" does NOT mean "I know"
or "I am sure"!) is: 50Hz vs. 60Hz.

I asked here for technical help, since based on what I suppose
I didnt find a solution myself.