[MPlayer-users] Forcing other framerates

meino.cramer at gmx.de meino.cramer at gmx.de
Mon Apr 26 17:59:27 CEST 2010

"Ing. Daniel Rozsnyó" <daniel at rozsnyo.com> [10-04-26 17:21]:
> meino.cramer at gmx.de wrote:
> >RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> [10-04-25 20:00]:

> >>LCDs effectively do not have a refresh rate (or a "framerate").
>
> LCD has a refresh rate! It refreshes the picture from top to bottom,
> just the "memory effect" of the screen is much bigger than on CRT. The
> LCD is effectively a visible dynamic memory (DRAM).

  That means...?
  Displaying Image contents with a rate of 25Hz to a technology
  drawing every 1/60 second a picture...gives...?

> >>You've not described what this "distortet screen" problem is, so
> >>nobody
> >>can possibly help.
> >>

> >>--
> >>Ha. I'm the idiot.
> >>
> >If LCDs have no framerate or refresh rate, they will not draw
> >frames from top to bottom? How then?
> >A try for a better explanation:
> >Certain videos (for example the Neo<->Smith fight sceen in Matrix
> >Revoluitions) with fast changing lightning conditions expose some
> >screen distortions.
> >They are of two kind:
> >The upper half of the screen is still in "bright condition"
> >when the lower half is in "dark condition" -- what comes first and
> >where this "break" is, depends. Also varying is the position
> >of this "break" on the screen.
>
> That is a missing vertical synchronization - what -vo are you using? On
> what video card and which drivers? Usually on dualhead the vsync is
> hard to get..

  Oh, oh...some mails ago I got a hint to disable all VSYNCs in the
  nvidia settings...

  So...using -vo xv gives me the fastest (read: normal speed) video
  with audio and video in sync.
  Other drivers result in the message that my two core 3800+ AMD
  CPU is to slow....(?)
  My graühics card is ai
  nVidia Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GT] (rev a2) which run with
  the current nvidia drivers on a Linux box.
  I myself and my computer each uses only one head ;)
  Most of the time I use my own... ;) ;)
  I disabled AutoTwinDevice in the Xorg.conf as I did with
  TwindDevice (dont remember the correct names of that parameters, but
  was something like that.).

  Since 60Hz is common for LCD I am asking myself, whether I am the
  only one having problems with playing 25Hz/region 2 contents...?!

  Since it also happens for example with the fight scene Neo<->Agent
  Smith in Matrix Revolutions (DVD, region 2) I think, it is not
  a bug in the video itsself....

  I am a little (read: very) frustrated, since this monitor is new
  and I like its colors and features, but...

  So any help to circumvent this problem is *very* appreciated! :O)

  Have a flicker-free evening! :O))
  Best regards,
  mcc