[MPlayer-users] Fwd: cuda acceleration?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Aug 1 17:59:59 CEST 2010

Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger <at> gmx.de> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 08:56:04PM -0700, Scott Doty wrote:
> > So maybe mencoder doesn't have the architecture to exploit GPUs...but it
> > seems like there should be some way to to it, especially since other
> > transcoders have been successful at this.
>
> That is a curious claim, decoders are not using the GPU as such and
> would not work at useful speeds with CUDA-only, but even using the
> special decoder hardware chip it tends to be slower on high-end
> hardware

I certainly don't want to contradict, but I don't consider my E8400 "high-end
hardware" (anymore) and it is at least 10% faster at decoding H264 with ffh264
than VDPAU.

Additionally, I guess that getting CUDA used at all (and with doubtful
advantages) would be quite an effort, while implementing (or actually merging)
multi-threaded frame-level decoding would certainly improve performance
immensely and probably takes less effort.

Carl Eugen