[MPlayer-users] Does MPlayer support .MEV files?

Krzysztof Duchnowski amidk75 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 09:44:53 CEST 2010

On 05.08.2010 22:56, Phillip Pi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I got a copy of Da Vinci Code movie from a year old Sony USB flash
> drive. Its 922 MB movie's filename is "The DaVinci Code.mev", and dated
> and time stamped as August 03, 2008, 4:28:24 PM. There are player files
> too:
> 10/04/2008  12:36 AM               120 config.bin
> 09/05/2008  01:43 PM            32,647 MoDv.dta
> 10/04/2008  12:35 AM             4,096 MODV.INI
> 06/24/2008  11:53 AM            11,992 winopen.exe
>               4 File(s)         48,855 bytes
>
> For kicks on a test PC, I cannot figure how to play this video file. I
> ran winopen.exe and it didn't work. I don't think it is even a player.
> It took me to http://duckware.com/winopen/index.html which doesn't look
> like a player.
>
> It looks like this has been out for about a year. Can the latest MPlayer
> play it? I tried Sherpya-MT-SVN-r31170-4.4.0 in my old, updated Windows
> XP Pro. SP3 machine and it didn't play. Both VideoLAN Client (VLC) Media
> Player and the latest stable K-Lite Mega Codec players weren't able to
> play it either. MediaInfo v0.7.34 can't determine the video either. :(

It is Sony proprietary format that play ONLY from MicroVault drive and
ONLY with included player.
In root directory of that drive you should have autorun.inf and
davinci.exe files. Check out autorun.inf file for clue how to run player
but I could say that it is heavy Sony style DRM and I'm almost sure that
you can't play it under Linux and you will have problem to play it under
Windows even with included player ;P

--
Krzysztof 'DK75' Duchnowski
GetFirefox - http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/