[MPlayer-users] Sync Problems dumping DVD audio

John Brown johnbrown_105 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 19:30:34 CET 2010

On Tue, December 28, 2010 15:52:31 GMT, Sebastian  wrote:

> Hi,

<snip/>

> If the dvd contains more than one audio source (germany and english), the
script creates a multi audio avi.

> This works on 98% of my dvds.
>
> Now sometimes the audiodumps have different sizes, and the resulting avi
> will have a out of sync on at least
> one channel. (playback of this dvd folder is fine!)

When you are working with multiple video or audio streams, you should
make sure that they are identical in every way: bitrate, sample rate, etc.

> On some dvds I get away by using:
>
> mplayer -dvd-device ""$BASE_FOLDER""$DVD_FOLDER"" dvd://"$CHAPTER" -aid
"$AUD1_1" -vo null -cache
> 8192 -ao pcm:waveheader
>
> for ripping the audio.

When you do this, you are decompressing the audio. If you decompress
both audio streams, you should be OK.

> But there are still some that dont work. I tried -mc 1, -mc 0 -forceidx
-noskip(mencoder) and nobps

> Then I had another search on the web and I found
>
> mencoder -mc 1 -noskip -forceidx -dvd-device ""$BASE_FOLDER""$DVD_FOLDER""
dvd://"$CHAPTER" -aid
> "$AUD1_1" -ovc copy -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=192
> -af pan=2:1.0:1.0:1.0:1.0,volnorm -of mpeg -o temp.mpg

What you are doing here is re-encoding the audio at 192 kbps. If you do
this for *both* audio streams, then they will have the same bitrate, and
in theory you should have no problems.

> Now the strange thing: If I let this run for both languages into
> separate temp.mpg's, the resulting temp.mpg's will be absolutely synced.
> But both have different sizes again, and I cannot rip them.

When you say that "both have different sizes again", what do you mean?
Why can't you rip them? What happens when you try?

> do the mplayer masters have any more idea i can try?

Regards,
Alias John Brown.