[MPlayer-users] 1st that, now this... come on

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Thu Feb 4 16:31:05 CET 2010

I'm sorry, I can't help you as I'm neither developer nor am I using
MPlayer on windows.
I must admit when I'm forced to use windows, I'm using VLC, as it is

1. a pain in the ass to use the command line on windows, and it is
2. a pain in the ass to use MPlayer by mouse only.

> P.s. do you really expect users to recompile? No thanks.

Seldom a day passes with less than three updates to the mplayer source.
Who do YOU expect to provide three new windows binaries a day?

I haven't ever compiled MPlayer on windows, but from all I've heard it is
no easy task, really. Well, it might not be that hard when you've set up
the working environment. So I can understand your complaints, I wouldn't
want to compile it on windows, too.

But if you have a look at the people who use linux, it's really quite easy
as on most distributions, all the needed programs for compiling MPlayer
are already installed, or easy to install in very few packets. Or take a
look at FreeBSD: There's a script which downloads and installs all the
needed programs for you, downloads the MPlayer source, compiles and
installs it, you only have to type the two words "make install" within the
right directory. That effort is not a big one. So I can tell you:

I do really expect users of certain operating systems to recompile, yes.

Greets,
Kiste