[MPlayer-users] how to run a DVD on two screens

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Sun Feb 7 20:38:56 CET 2010

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010, Dercino Fernandes dos Santos wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how to run a DVD on two screens simultaneously

Hardware will work. We used a VGA splitter to run a CRT and projector in
parallel. There's probably similar hardware for HDMI, and surely for
composite video, component etc.
It may even be possible to daisy-chain component video on BNCs to
multiple displays providing that the termination resistor is removed
except from the end of the chain.

For a system with a dual-head card such as Nvidia quadro etc, I'm not
sure. I think some of them have a dual mode. We've always wanted
independant displays, or merged/xinerama mode, but I think I remember
seeing console text scrolling on two screens at startup once.

In passing I note that some older dual-head cards don't have full
graphics acceleration on both heads, which can lead to some weird
effects. I've seen a movie window straddling two displays in merged mode,
with the right half black and the left half playing normally.

Other crazy ideas - run the DVD from a streaming server and run multiple
copies of mplayer, one on each monitor.

Andrew