[MPlayer-users] Poor A/V with various deinterlace filters on interlaced but not telecined content

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Sat Feb 20 23:56:37 CET 2010

Reimar Döffinger wrote, on 2/20/2010 4:55 PM:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 04:39:40PM -0500, Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:
>> I've tried pp=lb, yadif=1, yadif=3, mcdeint, with or without mc 0,
>> and all of the various common combinations of yadif/mcdeint etc that
>> you find when searching for this sort of thing. A/V sync is always
>> very bad.
> Does MPlayer play the DVD right?
> Why the emphasis on deinterlacing, do you know a command line
> without deinterlacing that works?

After a little experimentation, I think the problem must only arise with
transcoding. mplayer with no extra command-line options plays fine for
A/V sync, although every single frame has little jagged edges where the
motion occurs. If I add in subtitles and -vf pp=lb or yadif, the sync
still appears to be fine.

But when transcoding to x264, the sync gets off very quickly, and gets
*way* off. I don't think it's a constant value either.

The reason I am transcoding and deinterlacing is I am trying to put the
content in an MP4 container that can be streamed to (or played on) a
Sony PS3. There is no way to stream the subtitle track to the PS3 from a
DVD; it needs to be baked into the video. (A PS3 also cannot play a
VIDEO_TS folder other than as individual VOB files, rather than a DVD
structure).

If I don't deinterlace, the MP4 on the PS3 shows all the jagged lines in
every frame.

But I can't find a way to transcode with deinterlacing that doesn't ruin
the A/V sync badly.

Adam