[MPlayer-users] How To: best way to rescale

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 05:31:30 CET 2010

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:36:34 -0800
Ken Bass <daytooner at gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason is that I have several videos that won't play on my home
> theatre system because it is limited to a resolution of 800x600. And,
> no, I'd rather not have to buy a new system at the moment. I just
> wondered if there might be a way to quickly and easily rescale without
> fully recoding.

What formats does the device support?  Something like MPEG-1/2
would be quite a bit faster to encode than H.264.  If size doesn't
matter, you can use keyint=1:vqscale=2 and encode a very large file
ridiculously fast.

> I have tried "ffmpeg -i <src.xxx> -s WxH src_new.xxx"
>
> where 'W' and 'H' are the new width and height. I  try to keep the
> same aspect ratio as the original.
>
> When I do this, the new video is much poorer quality.

If you specify a high video bitrate (rather than none at all), it can be
quite high quality.

--
Ha. I'm the idiot.