[MPlayer-users] How To: best way to rescale

Ken Bass daytooner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 23:10:52 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Ken Bass <daytooner <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I need to rescale several videos. What is the best way to do that without
> > recoding the entire video, but maintaining quality?
> >
> > I have tried "ffmpeg -i <src.xxx> -s WxH src_new.xxx"
>

> Please read ffmpeg's man page for more information!
>
> Concerning your home theater system: Are you sure that the problem is the
> resolution (and not the container or codec type)? I find it surprising that
> the
> system does not just down-scale the video to the maximum resolution. (Does
> it
> show very small videos without upscaling them?)
>
> Carl Eugen

I actually did RTFM, but it was a bit lacking of specifics, especially like
those pointed out so far.  But I will try your suggestions.

As for my home theater sytstem: it actually displays the message "Resolution
exceeds maximum of 800x600".  Other times it will display: "Codec not
supported" - mostly for MS Windows encodings. As for upscaling, yes it will
do that, up to 1080i. As with most of the dvd players of the time, it was
designed to upscale regular DVDs up to BluRay resolutions. But apparently
not the reverse.

It'sl technology moving everyone forward, leaving some of us "old dinosaurs"
stuck in mud. :-).

ken