[MPlayer-users] Taking the input from a USB microphone in mplayer

Sam Spilsbury smspillaz at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 10:46:10 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Krzysztof Duchnowski <amidk75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> RC pisze:
>
>>> alsa:immediatemode=0:adevice=/dev/dsp:samplerate=300 then?
>>
>> An Elephant microphone then?
>>
>>> Yeah, I don't really know too much about Sample Rates so I read up
>>> about them on Wikipedia.
>>
>> The standard rates are 48000, 44100 & 32000. Derive lower rates (eg.
>> voice-only) by dividing them by 2, 3, or 4 at most.  Your sound card is
>> almost certainly 48,000.
>
> 8000 is hard line telephone rate, 24000 or 32000 is cellphone AMR movie rate
> and 44100 is CD rate.

Haha, thanks everyone.

Basically, there is some kind of kernel bug that causes my system to
lock up when I try to record /dev/dsp or alsa:adevice=alsa_device_id.

Is there any way to record from the default PulseAudio Sink?
Currently, I am simultaneously using parec to record the USB mic and
mencoder to record the capture device although it is quite sub-optimal
since there a *lot* of buffer underruns on the audio and the audio and
video are almost always out-of-sync.

Regards,

Sam,

> --