[MPlayer-users] Can't open audio device /dev/dsp

James Moe jimoe at sohnen-moe.com
Tue Jan 5 06:36:19 CET 2010

On 01/04/10 12:52 pm, Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski wrote:
>>   How do I tell if aRTS or ESD is running? Neither show from the "ps ax"
>> command.
>>   "fuser /dev/dsp" returned nothing.
>
> Hmm, the interesting thing is that you definitely get
> "Device or resource busy" instead of "No such device".
>
> How about PulseAudio?

  It makes no difference whether it is enabled or not.

> What is your soundcard and what driver you're using?

  Audio: Realtek ACL1200 (motherboard built-in)
  Driver: Good question. ALSA (1.0.18)?

> You might install libalsa-dev so mplayer will compile
> with alsa support, but it might not do any good for you.

  This actually worked. For mplayer. It spit out the same error message
but then tried ALSA and had success.
  Still, the original problem can sometimes block another sound source
like Flash player in a browser. I have found no definable pattern to when
or not sound will work. Usually right after a boot but not always.
Sometimes just waiting a while allows whatever to let go of the sound
channel. Other times what worked before goes silent.
  Using "speaker-test" always works. But then it seems to create the
blocked sound problem preventing some other programs from making noise.

--
jimoe (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com