[MPlayer-users] Seeking in MPEG2/MPEG4 streams

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Jan 5 06:50:20 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 12:34:49AM +0100, Barnabas Hajas wrote:
> My computer is a 800MHz Celeron and yes I did test it and the
> performance loss is noticeable. Monitor's refresh rate is not my
> limiting factor at all. It runs at 60Hz and if I play a double (or
> triple) speed video it looks a lot smoother when seeking forward.
> MPlayer was always very famous of being efficient on hardwares very
> different from each other. This is the number one property I really
> like it for. I don't use FFMpeg, but libmpeg2, never used FFMpeg for
> MPEG-2 decoding because it's slow as hell for this purpose including
> seeking as well. So I was talking about libmpeg2 producing "incorrect
> frames like that".

I think the issue really isn't that ffmpeg is slow.
I do not know if the git version maybe has some of the issues I just
fixed or some similar ones, so if you don't mind, could you also try the
latest SVN version?
It still does not give back the "blocks" behaviour, but it plays very
smoothly during seeking for me now (actually a bit too fast IMO).