[MPlayer-users] libass/fontconfig not using fonts

Daniel Frey djqfrey at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 05:58:24 CET 2010

I have a strange problem with mplayer currently. It's been doing this
for a while, but I have not found any pattern or solution for the
behaviour. Some mkvs play fine yet others do not use the right fonts.
I've checked with mkvinfo and the file attachments are there. I've even
installed the fonts to /usr/share/fonts and rebuilt the global font
cache and it still doesn't work.

Sample

$ mplayer -ass -embeddedfonts file.mkv
MPlayer SVN-r29964-4.3.3 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer
Team

Playing [Frostii]_Nodame_Cantabile_Finale_-_01_[06D54D2B].mkv.
[mkv] Track ID 1: video (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC) "Video (H.264)", -vid 0
[mkv] Track ID 2: audio (A_AAC) "Japanese Audio (2ch LC-AAC)", -aid 0,
-alang jpn
[mkv] Track ID 3: subtitles (S_TEXT/ASS) "English Subtitles (ASS)", -sid
0, -slang und
[mkv] Will play video track
1.
Matroska file format
detected.
VIDEO:  [avc1]  1280x720  24bpp  23.976 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0
kbyte/s)
Couldn't open video filter
'ass'.
ASS: cannot add video
filter
[ass]
Init

[ass] Updating font
cache.

Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec
family
Unsupported PixelFormat
-1
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg
H.264)

Opening audio decoder: [faad] AAC (MPEG2/4 Advanced Audio
Coding)
FAAD: compressed input bitrate missing, assuming
128kbit/s!
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/8.33% (ratio:
16000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [faad] afm: faad (FAAD AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4
Audio))

AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per
sample)
Starting
playback...

Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie
aspect.
VO: [vdpau] 1280x720 => 1280x720 Planar
YV12
**[ass] fontconfig: Selected font is not the requested one: 'Bitstream
Vera Sans' != 'Linotype Aroma Bold'
A:  41.2 V:  41.2 A-V: -0.000 ct: -0.091   0/  0 26%  3%  0.7% 0 0
Exiting... (Quit)

mkvinfo is showing the file attachments:
|+
Attachments

| +
Attached

|  + File name: Linotype Aroma
Semibold.ttf

|  + Mime type:
application/x-truetype-font

|  + File data, size:
44472

|  + File UID:
1755402893

| +
Attached

|  + File name: Linotype Aroma Semibold
Italic.ttf

|  + Mime type:
application/x-truetype-font

|  + File data, size:
42924

|  + File UID:
2456009634

| +
Attached

|  + File name: Linotype Aroma
Bold.ttf

|  + Mime type:
application/x-truetype-font

|  + File data, size: 43868
|  + File UID: 515681451
| + Attached
|  + File name: Linotype Aroma Bold Italic.ttf
|  + Mime type: application/x-truetype-font
|  + File data, size: 43016
|  + File UID: 559502729

They're even in /usr/share/fonts:
$ ls /usr/share/fonts/TTF/Lino*
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Linotype Aroma Bold Italic.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Linotype Aroma Semibold Italic.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Linotype Atlantis Bold.TTF
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Linotype Atlantis Regular.TTF
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Linotype Aroma Bold.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Linotype Aroma Semibold.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Linotype Atlantis Italic.TTF

The script itself looks like:
Style: Name1,Linotype Aroma
Bold,57,&H00E8FCFD,&H000000FF,&H00000000,&HAA000000,0,0,0,0,100,100,0,0,1,1.8,0,2,20,20,20,0

Style: Name2,Linotype Aroma
Bold,57,&H00ECFDEC,&H000000FF,&H00000000,&HAA000000,0,0,0,0,100,100,0,0,1,1.8,0,2,20,20,20,0

Style: Name3,Linotype Aroma
Semibold,56,&H00FFFFFF,&H000000FF,&H00000000,&HAA000000,0,0,0,0,100,100,0,0,1,1.5,1,8,20,20,20,0

I've turned on verbose logging and it simply is not using any font
available to it. They're in multiple places. No matter what I do, it
refuses to use the same font. Yet on some files with the same style
definitions it works.

Is it possible that there's some sort of filename check going on that's
failing? There's no indication of this in logs and no sort of other
commandline switches to show that type of output.

Using media-libs/fontconfig-2.6.0-r2. I've tried fontconfig 2.8.0 with
no difference.