[MPlayer-users] Still no vorbis audio

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Jul 10 09:12:33 CEST 2010

Rolf Ernst <rolf.ernst <at> silverlightning.org> writes:

> Am I right to interpret it that atm out of the box vorbis from svn is kaputt?

You are right to interpret that MEncoder is unmaintained software which could
break in theory for any input/output, but which likely doesn't work well for new
things like webm.

Note that libavcodec's vorbis encoder works "fine" with ffmpeg (except for the
missing rate-control), because it supports the -aq option to set the audio
quality: I am unsure why this does not work in MEncoder, patch probably welcome.

When I asked for samples, I meant samples to proof that libavcodec's vorbis
encoder is actually "bad", samples to compare libx264 against libvpx are not
really welcome (both are external libraries we can't easily change anyway). I'd
like to add that it is very unlikely you get similar size/quality ratio in
reasonable time with libvpx compared to libx264. If all you care about is
quality, I suggest mpeg1video, which is fast, reliable, available on many
systems (and looks very good for high bitrate).

If you really haven't seen comparisons, look into Appendix 8:
http://compression.ru/video/codec_comparison/h264_2010/appendixes.html
Note that to get acceptable quality/size in comparison to an MPEG based codec,
you need uncompressed sources. I believe it is unlikely you can provide them.

Please trim your quotes, we all know my mail was sent via MPlayer-users mailing
list, Carl Eugen