[MPlayer-users] Strange problem with videos having mixed stereo and 5.1 sound - slow playback

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Jul 14 20:22:18 CEST 2010

Florian Schröck <floschroeck <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Some MKV files, which have been recorded from an HDTV broadcast TV
> shows, seem to have a AC3 audio track which is mixed stereo and 5.1. It
> is always the same issue: At the beginning of the file are scenes from
> the previous episode in stereo and right when the "real" episode begins,
> the sound switches to 5.1 and the playback gets really slow, like slow
> motion, the picture and the audio, too.

The problem is known, also happens for direct DVB recordings (no remuxing
necessary). I use -ac hwac3 as a work-around, but I agree that is no general
solution.

For future problem reports: Please provide a minimal command line (note that
yours did not even work in the general case) and complete, uncut output if it
helps to identify the problem (as in this case, A-V and ct values raise).

Carl Eugen