[MPlayer-users] [MPlayer] stops streaming when satellite stream is blocked by heavy rain

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Jul 15 19:20:47 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 08:56:22AM -0300, Albert Scholtalbers wrote:
> Hi Reimar, thanks for the response.
>

> >  Also it is hard to reproduce, I only know it the
> > other way round that I can't quite MPlayer not even with SIGKILL (which
> > makes
> > it a kernel bug).
> >

> Hard to produce.... just stand in front of the dish and 99% sure you get the
> effect.

I don't have a dish, only DVB-T, and actually I misplaced that.

> Difficult to quite MPlayer, I use kill -hup PID and Mplayer stops always.

Well, then you're lucky and your drivers aren't broken.

> > Otherwise just start MPlayer via a script that restarts it each time it
> > quits,
> > using a new dumpfile if the previous has a significant size (or have
> > MPlayer write
> > to a fifo can append the fifo output always to the same file).
>
> Is it also possible to append to a file instead of a fifo. And what is the
> functional difference between a file and a fifo?

MPlayer can't append to a existing stream.dump currently.

> The best next steps seems to be to recompile MPlayer with debug enabled and
> providing you with the output of that event.

Just giving the MPlayer output (with -v) would be a major step forward.

> From my programmers experience
> with sockets the solution seems very easy just lock to the stream with an
> indefinite time-out in stead of a few seconds. But maybe I simplify the
> "problem"

What does this have to do with sockets? I don't even know which method you use
to capture, v4l, v4l2, dvb, directshow, ...