[MPlayer-users] Mencoder options for fastest first pass XVID encoding

Mauricio Kanada mkanada at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 16 03:53:00 CEST 2010

Hi.

I am still learning how to use mencoder. I use a lot of options for lavc encoder
to create XVID files, and use 2 pass to do so.
Lately I have used first pass with almost no options, only to create logs. So,
on second pass, I use all options that I think gives good results

Examples:

First pass: -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1200:vpass=1:threads=4:autoaspect:turbo
Second pass: -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:cmp=3:subcmp=3:vbitrate=1200:vpass=2:threads=4:autoaspect

I have some questions:

1 - The options on first pass influences the log generation, and consequent the
second pass?
2 - The bitrate is necessary on first pass?
3 - Is possible to interpret the generated log to find the hardest parts (parts
that need high bitrate for good quality) and easy ones?

Thanks

Maurício Kanada