[MPlayer-users] Reducing volume differences

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Sun Jul 25 00:37:03 CEST 2010

When watching movies in software like PowerDVD, I can find an option
that will reduce the difference between very loud and very silent parts
of the audio.  PowerDVD's option is labeled "audio compression".

Does MPlayer offer something like that?  Without it, I have to turn up
my speakers pretty much to hear normal stuff (like dialogue), but when
something "loud" happens (explosions, someone screams, etc), people
three blocks away can hear it :P  It's highly annoying and I find myself
constantly adjusting the volume knob so I can keep my sanity.  It seems
to happen especially with movies having 5.1 sound (DTS, etc.)